Saturday, July 19, 2014

going bananas (peppers, that is)

Some of you may think i'm quite the nerd for this, but who doesn't like fresh produce from a friend's (sister's) garden. My older sister and her hubby have planted an incredible garden this year and I have been reaping the benefits ever since. I absolutely love banana peppers, but I have a tendency to lean towards pickled ones more than regular. Since I have been craving some pickled banana peppers I decided I needed to learn how to pickle them myself. So if this interests you at all... grab a jar and get ready for some "fun". 

what you'll need:
-banana peppers (I had 5 peppers)
-jar/with lid (I grabbed one my mom had just emptied of relish)
-1 1/3 tsp. pickling salt (I used regular mortons)
-1/2 cup white vinegar
-1/2 cup water

here's how it works:

1. Grab your fresh banana peppers and cut them into whatever size rings you prefer.
2. Put all of your beautiful rings into the jar of your choice.


3. Add together the salt, vinegar, and water into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

4. Once you've come to a boil, take the pan off the heat and pour contents into your pepper jar.

5. Use a knife to swish the peppers around a bit to remove any air bubbles.
6. Put the lid to the jar on and let the jar sit out on the counter for 24 hours.
7. REFRIGERATE! (for up to 2 weeks)

I loved how easy this was to do and now I get to enjoy one of my favorite snacks!   
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment